Make a difference in your community by organizing a Food + Funds Drive at your workplace, school, congregation, or community group, any time of the year. Marion-Polk Food Share makes coordinating a Food + Funds Drive easy and fun by providing you with all of the materials and ideas on how to make your drive a success.
How To Organize Your Food + Funds Drive
1. Gather a team
- Think about your community: family, church, school, work, neighborhood.
2. Set a date
- Pick both a beginning and an ending date and time for your drive.
3. Organize an event
- Consider these ideas: bake sale, car wash, craft fair, walk-a-thon/ bike-a-thon, raffle.
4. Tell people about it
- Make posters and flyers, talk about it on social media, send out emails, and a press release to local media.
- You can use our 10 Most Wanted Poster to help promote your food drive.
5. Ask for these foods
- Canned meats (tuna, chicken, salmon)
- Peanut Butter and other nut butters
- Canned and dried fruit
- Cereal and whole grains (oatmeal, oats, brown rice, barley)
- Shelf-stable milk (including non-dairy soy and nut milk)
- Fresh vegetables and fruit
6. Remember: both food and funds matter!
- Cash donations keep our trucks on the road and the freezers cold. They also support our innovative programs to address the root causes of hunger. Monetary donations also allow the Food Share to purchase bulk food to be repacked by volunteers. Because we make large, bulk purchases, our cost per pound of food is far lower than that of food bought at retail prices by individuals.
7. At the event
- Collect donated food in one place, for easy delivery
- For smaller drives cardboard boxes work well to collect donated food.
- For drives that expect 500 pounds of food, or more, we can deliver and pick-up a 55 gallon barrel.
8. After the event
- Congratulations and THANK YOU!
- The last and final step is to get the donated food and/or money to us. Please deliver your donated food to Marion-Polk Food Share located at 1660 Salem Industrial Drive NE, Salem, OR 97301 between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Thank you for feeding people in our community!